Go to content

Application for permission to drive a foreign-registered motor vehicle for private purposes in Denmark, 21.059 EN

Form no.

21.059 EN

About the form

You must complete this form to apply for permission to drive a foreign-registered vehicle for private purposes in Denmark. You will typically need this permission if you are staying temporarily in Denmark as a student or because of short-term employment.

A fee of DKK 400 is charged for applying for the permission.

Please complete the application form and submit it to:

Nykøbingvej 76
Bygning 45
4990 Sakskøbing

You can also submit the application form online:

  1. Log on to E-tax (TastSelv)

  2. Click ‘Kontakt’ (Contact)

  3. Click ‘Skriv til os’ (Write to us)

  4. Click ‘Bil og motor’ (Car and motor)

  5. Click ‘Import/Eksport’

  6. Click ‘Biler fra udlandet’ (Cars from abroad) 

Please enclose/attach the following documents when you submit the form:

  • copy of vehicle registration certificate

  • documentation of your stay in Denmark (an employment contract, for example)

  • receipt for paying the DKK 400 fee 

You can pay the DKK 400 by transferring the amount via online banking using "card type: +73" and "account no.: 86984156".

IBAN number:          DK77 0216 4069 1320 49
BIC/Swift code:        DABADKKK

Please attach the following information in the payment:

- applicant's CPR number (civil reg. no.)
- applicant's name
- vehicle registration number
- reference number (if applicable)

Double domicile
If you reside in Denmark and another country at the same time, it must be determined which residence can be regarded as your usual place of residence, which is defined as the residence to which you have the strongest ties, i.e. the country where you are considered to be domiciled.

This determination includes considering business and private ties and the amount of time spent in the particular country/countries. If your strongest ties are to Denmark, you will be considered to be residing in Denmark and may therefore not use a vehicle with foreign number plates in Denmark.

Persons residing in Denmark
A person residing in Denmark is generally not allowed to use a foreign-registered vehicle for driving in Denmark.

However, permission to drive a foreign-registered vehicle for private purposes may be granted to persons residing in Denmark, but working outside Denmark on weekdays. The permission only covers driving from a border crossing to the person's residence in Denmark and back in connection with holidays. The vehicle may not be used for any other transport in Denmark.

A person coming to live in Denmark may use a foreign-registered vehicle in Denmark for a period of 30 days from the date of entry to Denmark. After 30 days, the vehicle must be either registered in Denmark, transported out of Denmark, or be deregistered, unless the Danish Motor Vehicle Agency (Motorstyrelsen) has granted the person permission to continue to use the foreign-registered vehicle in Denmark.

Persons residing abroad
If your stay in Denmark it is not expected to exceed 185 days, you may drive a foreign-registered vehicle during your stay in Denmark. You must always bring documentation for the duration of your stay with you while driving (for example a copy of your employment contract). You do not need to apply for permission in such situations.

If your stay exceeds 185 days, the vehicle must generally be registered in Denmark (and you must pay registration tax) or be transported out of Denmark.

If your stay in Denmark exceeds 185 days, you need permission from the Danish Motor Vehicle Agency to continue to use a foreign-registered vehicle in Denmark

Application 21.059 EN

Please note

Note: Please save the form on your computer before you start completing it. Otherwise, the data you enter may not be saved